Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Eight Tax Benefits for Parents

This information brought to you by the Law Office of Martin Cantu and San Antonio Tax Help.

Are you a parent? Here are eight tax benefits for parents

1. Dependents. In most cases, you can claim a child as a dependent even if your child was born anytime in 2012.   

2. Child Tax Credit. You may be able to claim the Child Tax Credit for each of your children that were under age 17 at the end of 2012. 

3. Child and Dependent Care Credit. You may be able to claim this credit if you paid someone to care for your child or children under age 13, so that you could work or look for work. 

4. Earned Income Tax Credit. If you worked but earned less than $50,270 last year, you may qualify for EITC. If you have qualifying children, you may get up to $5,891 dollars extra back when you file a return and claim it. 

5. Adoption Credit.  

6. Higher education credits. 

7. Student loan interest. 

8. Self-employed health insurance deduction - If you were self-employed and paid for health insurance, you may be able to deduct premiums you paid to cover your child. 

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Are You Missing Your W-2? Here's What to Do.

The IRS recommends these three steps:

1. Contact the employer first.  Make sure your employer has your correct address.

2. After February 14, you may call the IRS at 800-829-1040 if you have not yet received your W-2. Be prepared to provide your name, address, Social Security number and phone number. Also have the following information when you call:

• Your employer’s name, address and phone number;

• Your employment dates; and

• An estimate of your wages and federal income tax withheld in 2012, based upon your final pay stub or leave-and-earnings statement, if available.

3. File your return on time. You should still file your tax return on or before April 15, 2013, even if you have not yet received your W-2. File Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, in place of the W-2. 

If you need more time to file you can get a six-month extension of time. File Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File US Individual Income Tax Return.  If you are requesting an extension, you must file this form on or before April 15, 2013.

Have Questions? Contact tax attorney Martin Cantu.

Monday, February 11, 2013

We call it IRS Tax Relief. Others call it IRS Tax Resolution. Large law firms call it Tax Controversy. In any case, you're looking for help.

No matter the label, the problem is still the same. You owe money to the IRS and you haven't made any arrangement to pay that debt. Each individual situation may be a little different, with some more urgent than others, but the facts are basically the same.

As you conduct your search, be aware of a couple of things:

1. I've yet to see a taxpayer satisfied with the performance of a national tax service. Plain and simple, they're just marketing machines interested in taking your money instead of providing you service.

2. IRS Tax Relief, IRS Tax Resolution and Tax Controversy are specialized areas of the law. Retain someone who provides these services on a routine basis. The IRS has a very specific set of rules. You can accomplish a lot by knowing the rules, and you'll flounder if you don't.

3. IRS Tax Relief is not something to put off. Deal with it sooner and make your life easier - its also easier on your pocketbook.

Have questions? Contact IRS Relief Attorney Martin Cantu.

Saturday, February 9, 2013

A Saturday Tax Tip

Here's a quick tax thought for a Saturday - with filing season upon us, it would be great if you had a file in the clouds with all your tax documents, rather than hunting for the blue folder in the kitchen with names and phone numbers on it. You know that folder, don't you?

Make a habit of scanning, or even faxing it to yourself.

Use the clouds to help you access it - it makes it easy to prepare and easy to access in the future. Need help with your tax relief case? Contact San Antonio tax attorney Martin Cantu.  

Friday, February 8, 2013

The Key to Your Tax Relief Case

The simplest key to success of your tax relief case is - pick-up your mail. Simple as it sounds, no one like receiving those letters from the IRS and even fewer open the letters.

Yet, those letters tell you exactly what your response should be. It provides you with a road map to getting this matter behind and moving on with your life.

Have questions about your tax relief case? Contact tax attorney Martin Cantu for answers to your questions. 

Thursday, February 7, 2013

What are you looking for in a Tax Relief Service?

What are you looking for in a tax relief service? I provide you with one-on-one, affordable tax relief and tax resolution services.

Let an attorney handle your case with the attention it deserves.

Have questions? Contact tax attorney Martin Cantu with your questions.